Saturday 4 May 2013

Quick snack: Ham and Cheese Puff Pastries


Quick fix for late afternoon snack cravings!
Ham and cheese are always a good combination, yes? A classic combo of flavours. I made these today when I realised I have some things I'd like to use up - leftover puff pastry from a different recipe I've tried and several opened packages of cheeses.

This is more of an idea than a recipe, as it doesn't really need any sort of measurements. Just place everything on the pastry, fold them over and off into the oven they go! Very easy and very quick.




These are the ingredients I've used
I actually used vegan ham today, for no other reason than I just happened to bought them one day. You really can't leave me in a supermarket when I have time to spare. I'd be strolling around the aisles and picking up random things to put into my basket lol. I used a mixture of cheeses for the puffs: swiss, cheddar and radamer.

Ham and Cheese Puffs

~250g puff pastry, divide into half
~100g of ham
4 slices of cheese
Seasoning of choice
1 beaten egg, for egg wash (optional)

Instructions:
Position the rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 200°C (~400°F)
Roll the puff pastry into roughly 20x10 cm rectangles.
Place a quarter of ham, one slice of cheese and sprinkle the seasoning. Repeat.
Fold over the pastry lengthwise. Press and crimp the edges with a fork.
Repeat the steps for the other half of the pastry.
Brush the egg on top of the pastries, for a golden crust. Sprinkle some seasoning on top of the pastries. I've also used some sesame seeds as a topping.
Bake 15-20 minutes or until the puffs are done and are a lovely golden brown.
Let rest for a few minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment